ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Friday, October 13, 2006

Basil Babies Update 2

Well I don't know about this gardening lark: I thought my basil plants would be ready for consumption by now. I mean, it's been over a week since I planted them, and all I've got are 2-leaved thingies on an inch-long stem! They look like little gaping mouths - maybe I should give them some cheese or something.



I seem to have caught the bug though (as long as it's not a mealy bug - those ugly little gits ruined BetterArf's previous attempts at hort couture). The day before yesterday I planted bell peppers, and yesterday I did some onions. Neither of those have sprouted yet either!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger nzm said...

Patience, Grasshopper - your agricultural journey is just beginning. Take the time to smell the roses!

:-)

2:41 pm  
Blogger Prometheus said...

Holy Herbs Batman! That basil looks good. Keep at it Keefie. Just don't plant anything that that does not fit in with our religious, cultural, metaphysical, geomagnetic, biotechnological values. Wot?

3:26 pm  
Blogger Jin said...

Your babies are looking pukka! Don't be too impatient with the new seeds - they'll be well worth waiting for & just think, the basil babies will be able to boss them around, cos they'll be older an' bigger! (That is if you haven't eaten them!)

1:28 pm  
Blogger CG said...

Well....I must ask (since I have an abundance of Basil and rosemary growing in my sitting room), where are yours? If they are outside they might be battling the elements. Mine are in pots (for the last 3+ years) in the sitting room,right up against the window. They thrive there. I will do a blog on mine with some pics later. The only thing I can get to grow outside are chives and mint.

12:59 pm  
Blogger Keefieboy said...

CG: they are just inside the living room window, so they get plenty of sun without getting scorched. But how long does it take before I have to re-pot them? And how will I know when to re-pot them?

1:39 pm  
Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

When they start to resemble something that looks remotely close to a baby version of basil, it is time to replant them. Usually takes a few weeks, depending on circumstances. But by the looks of your picture, not yet.

Good luck with them!

11:51 pm  
Blogger CG said...

hmmm...now I would say that as soon as they sprout you should seperate them. Yours look too close and too many....remember their roots can become like weeds. And once they have some height on them (a couple of inches) pinch the gaping mouths off them to encourage growth.
But then again, don't listen to me....I have a cat to lick them every day and I am sure it helps.

12:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home