ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Friday, May 04, 2007

Dubai Metro Project

Work on the Metro line from Jebel Ali to Dubai is hurtling on. As you drive up and down Sheikh Zayed Road you'll see four or five massive travelling gantries that are used to hoist the pre-fabricated track-holder sections in to place (I'm sure there's a proper name for these, but I don't know what it is).


I haven't seen any explanation as to why almost all of the track is elevated. I suspect there are at least four reasons.

1) It keeps idiots from trying to cross the tracks

2) It doesn't create a barrier to movement

3) It'll be another Guiness Book of Records entry

4) It looks beautiful and futuristic


Now I'm wondering: are they going to paint all this concrete? And what are they planning to do the open ends of the cross pieces? If the answer to the last question is 'stick adverts on them', I'm afraid someone will have to die.

Labels: