ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Friday, May 04, 2007

Dubai Metro Project

Work on the Metro line from Jebel Ali to Dubai is hurtling on. As you drive up and down Sheikh Zayed Road you'll see four or five massive travelling gantries that are used to hoist the pre-fabricated track-holder sections in to place (I'm sure there's a proper name for these, but I don't know what it is).


I haven't seen any explanation as to why almost all of the track is elevated. I suspect there are at least four reasons.

1) It keeps idiots from trying to cross the tracks

2) It doesn't create a barrier to movement

3) It'll be another Guiness Book of Records entry

4) It looks beautiful and futuristic


Now I'm wondering: are they going to paint all this concrete? And what are they planning to do the open ends of the cross pieces? If the answer to the last question is 'stick adverts on them', I'm afraid someone will have to die.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger nzm said...

I've looked at some of these uprights where they cross over the interchanges and I hope that someone has taken into consideration that, sometimes, oversized loads need to be transported on trucks to their destinations - especially from the ports.

To me, they just don't look high enough to allow this.

12:29 pm  
Blogger Seabee said...

And adding to what nzm said, some of the horizontal slabs are only about 10 feet above the ground while in other places it's thirty feet or so. I was going to post about it when I take some photos - is it going to be a roller coaster up and down or what?

12:59 pm  
Blogger trailingspouse said...

Whatever the reason, it must have cost them a fortune to elevate it rather than run it on the ground. I never cease to be amazed at the amount of money thrown at infrastructure in Dubai (only to be redone 2 or 3 years later when plans change).

They will certainly have to paint it (and keep painting it regularly) to keep it looking nice. Elevated tracks and highways in North America generally look like hell after a few years. There's a hideous one in Toronto that completely blocks the view of Lake Ontario from downtown.

4:24 pm  
Blogger Harsha said...

Why dont we all just wait for 2 years and see the results ourselves.

They've spent ages on deciding to hire which contractors will take care of it. I'm sure they have well laid out plans.. atleast I hope.

They're still developing and how many of us know the nitty gritty of construction? Yea yea I know looking at all the contruction all the time almost qualifies us to know enough. But I think the developments so far are premature to judge.

1:38 am  
Blogger secretdubai said...

I'm just as curious as nzm about the interchanges, particularly the Mall of the Emirates one. Obviously they have it all worked out, but looking at that junction, I still don't get how the track fits through. As well as other junctions further up SZR - or are they gonig to have to redo them?

And then let's not forget the Creek extension which will be another obstacle: the track is due to be build long before the Creek is extended, so how do they do that one?

4:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home