ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Friday, March 23, 2007

Technology Hates Me

My apologies for the complete lack of blogging for almost a fortnight, I’ve been having serious problems with my laptop and the Interweb.

I blogged earlier about my problem with using FTP from my ‘broadband’ connection at home. After two weeks of whingy emails from me, Itisalot finally sent an engineer to have a look. Of course, when he plugged in his laptop, everything was fine. His conclusion was that I might have a virus on my machine, so he downloaded AVG and set it off on a mighty scan. I have gazillions of files and after two hours it was only halfway through the scan, although it had found a worm by then. The engineer took that as his cue to leave, saying ‘it will work after the scan is finished’. Hmm, well no, it bloody well didn’t work. And he had not explained to me why it works just fine using my Media City connection.

I had forgotten about the clever Windows feature known as System Restore. This lets you roll back the configuration of your system to a point where you know things were working fine. I decided to do a restore to a few days before I had the FTP problem. It made no difference, but it did stop the Interweb from working at the office.

DMC’s IT dude had a play with it and got nowhere.

Then I thought it would be a bright idea to re-install Windows. I had forgotten, of course, that when you do this you lose all the emails and the address book that you have built up over the years, and the Registry forgets about all the software you have installed. The software is still there, but the computer no longer knows where to find it so you have to install everything again.

Re-installing Windows did not have the desired effect. FTP was still not working and wi-fi is totally buggered. I can connect using a LAN cable at home, but not at the office. Strangely the computer tells me, with great delight, that it has found some new hardware every time I boot up. I offer the drivers for the Ethernet Controller, but it declines to take them because that device is already installed.

So, my Interweb is muxed ip big time. I cannot even access the Blogger edit page from home right now, and when I’m at the office I don’t have time to do any posting.

I cannot begin to describe how frustrating this is. It looks like I’ll be doing a format c:/ on the beast(ard) this weekend and then re-installing all my software and files. And, as if that wasn’t enough shit, my bloody phone packed up three days ago. The Palm Treo 650 that was my pride and joy when I bought it almost 2 years ago, is now reduced to being a PDA without the phone facility. I cannot get a signal of any kind, no matter where I am. I did some research yesterday on cheapie mobiles: the cheapest one is a plasticky Motorola at Dhs 117. Next up is a blue plastic Nokia at dhs 130. I’ll have to get one of them, because nobody will touch a Palm in this country and to get one fixed you have to send it to Slovakia or Slovenia. Dammit.

And, and, and...I have the world's worst cold! Ah well, mustn't grumble.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger BuJ said...

Welcome back, albiet temporarily!
Sorry to hear about this hassle, surely it seems that culture and technology do not mix well in Dubai! Take it easy on the concerts I say :)

Anyway for some weird reason (and I'm no computer "engineer") it seems for Windows when all else fails you have to re-format! As if it's a one cure fits all. I hate it, shows the limitations of Mr Gates' software.

Finally (sorry I cannot hold it in me!) the guy etisalat sent you is most probably not an engineer!!! This really furiates me the way the word gets used an abused. Check out what we're upto here in the UK http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Engineer-Status/. Regards & hope your computer gets fixed asap.

12:21 pm  
Blogger samuraisam said...

Good fking god.
When they came to my house they told me AVG wasn't 'good' enough and that I should be using hog-all-my-fking-memory norton shittyvirus which succeeds in doing nothing. On their perfect little laptop which miraculously worked all they tested was internet explorer; when a normal internet user has 700 times more usage than that (I for instance have IRC, email, iexplorer, msn, google talk, bit torrent, etc etc etc). Despite my pointing of this little factoid out, their dipshit engineers couldn't seem to accept that little tidbit of information.

They accused me of having too many devices plugged in, having spyware (despite me running AVG antivirus, spybot S+D, lavasoft ad-aware, and having half a brain which doesn't decide to download viruses and the like)

Despite there being someone else in my neighbourhood with the same problems as myself (this was shared with me by another person at Etisalat, but the engineers totally denied it, just like they denied there would be any connectivity problems for their last 92 cable cuts on the sea floor. (my problem was that the connection was 'virtually' disconnecting every 30 odd minutes (as in not physically having a connection failure but just not working)).

Despite my requests for a new god damn modem (I've been asking for one for about the past 3 years) of the motorola brand I was told they are too half-assed to get any new models in and they wanted me to use a half-assed one made by some company I've never heard of which was USB (the Etisalat engineers also made me switch from using the USB port of my current modem to its ethernet port, which meant I had to install another stupid fking network card and now here they were again trying to go and change everything over again)

People have told Etisalat about the myspace.com audio problem and they still haven't fixed it.

I'm amazed Du actually has to do 'anything' to achieve better service than Etisalat's.

Etisalat's engineers gave me wonderful advice like trying to TURN OFF my antivirus for a while to see if it'd improve the situation (i didn't follow this). Despite my ignoring half of their advice my internet connection magically fixed itself a week or so after their visit.

2:42 pm  
Blogger tobasco said...

If its a wireless modem try changing the channel number. Its mostly set to 6 by default.

3:21 pm  
Blogger Deepak Morris said...

Get an Indian Engineer to take a look. He'll refer you to a Malabari Mojo Manager who'll get your Mojo up and running in no time.

What?

This isn't about Mojo?

Okay, then. Dump the laptop and buy a Mac.

Dunno. That's the comment I see on every blog post that complains about technology so I thought I'd bung it in here.

Deepak
PS: In true Google fashion, this is my fourth attempt to post a comment.
DM

10:09 pm  
Blogger witness said...

I've just discovered ur blog thx 2 toot...nice job! keep going!
good bye,
au revoir,
maassalamah,
aufwiederschreiben!

2:01 am  
Blogger witness said...

wow!2:01 Am?!
the time here's 23:07
:)

2:08 am  
Blogger BuJ said...

I agree!
get a mac!
watch out for my new iMac video at BuJ Al Arab coming soon :)

4:25 pm  
Blogger kaya said...

I too thanks to the wonderful word of virus / worms/computer
was without a COMPUTER (laptop - 1 months) desk (4 days).
It was TERRIBLE.
Things seem to be better now.
But HOW LONG ARE WE SAFE???

6:47 pm  
Blogger BuJ said...

Kaya... we're safe forever as long as the evil PC forces are at bay!

Long live the Mac
Long live the Mac
Long live FREEDOM!

12:17 pm  
Blogger CG said...

Crikey keefie
What a ghastly time you have had.

Once when I had the engineer (as he called himself) come round he also got his laptop up and running without a hitch....I SWEAR HE MUST HAVE BEEN USING GPRS or something, cos my connection was DEAD. He said my connection was fine and my router was working ok etc bloody etc.

After he left I decided to call the Linksys help desk and low and behold.....guess what....my router needed updating and I had to install some newer fungii to it and then it was working fine. The guy stayed on the phone the entire time and guided me through it, and he said there is no effing way that the eatshite guy had been able to connect to it previously.....

The engineer that came over even suggested that I re-format. Not one pc but all 6 in the house. what a wanker.

11:56 am  
Blogger Freudian Slip said...

It's true, technology is the greatest thing ever, and the worst, all at the same time :)
Matt

5:05 am  
Blogger Emirates Mac said...

I just found this post. Sorry to hear about your problems. Using a Mac is certainly not without its own problems, but generally it's more trouble-free than Windows, I think. Please feel free to join our community (www.emiratesmac.com) if you're interested in Macs.

6:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home