ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Friday, April 28, 2006

Remember The Alamo

Not the American one, the one in Dubai. It's going to close on May 15th. In case you don't know, the Alamo has been a fixture in Dubai for as long as I've been here. It's a bar and restuarant in Jumeirah, at the top of the Beach Road. Before we moved to Jebel Ali we were regulars there. It was very popular with Brits, and we were quite matey with a lot of them. Over the last few years, most of these people have moved out of Jumeirah and into the new 'burbs to the West. So I guess the place has seen a steady decline in revenues, and now it's just had the ultimate decision-making incentive: the rent for the coming year is almost double what it has been previously. Ouch! So closure is the only option. I will miss it, and I will miss some of the regulars there.

Also, I read on Desert Weasel's blog of the rumoured closure of The Lodge and The Cyclone. The Cyclone I will not miss, but the Lodge was another fixture in our social thingy for the first four or five years that we were here. Then it was closed for a few years (that's another story), and then it re-opened under new management. The new version was absolutely nothing like the old one, so we never bothered going there again.

I guess this is the kind of thing that happens in a place as dynamic as Dubai. Sniff.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Daddy-inLaw said...

I hope you don't run out of watering holes before I get back again

10:04 pm  
Blogger secretdubai said...

I found the Alamo a bit of a strange mixture. On one hand it served quite good but pricey Mexican-style food (or Tex Mex) - way above general bar snacks prices anyway. But it wasn't a particularly pleasant place to dine if the pub part was blaring out music.

Then the pub part. As you mention, the bar was always full of OBEs (Old Boring Expats - generally European) yet there was this dancefloor there that seemed to attract rather a different demographic - clashing somewhat with the old boys around the bar.

My impression is that with the huge variety of places around now - it didn't really work. It wasn't nice enough to be restaurant. It wasn't cutting edge enough to be an in-crowd nightclub. And it probably wasn't as comfortable or cosy enough on on the pub front.

All in all it always felt a bit airport hotel to me. I'll miss the nachos though.

2:46 am  
Blogger CG said...

went there when it first opened (me believes I was underage). never went back. Boring I am.

10:42 am  
Blogger bandicoot said...

Terrible news. Though it wasn't my favorite, but I know I'll miss the Alamo, especially their happy hour. It'll join other old establishments (like the beloved Bunker...sniff) that make us always nostalgic to the Dubai we knew when we first came here. Davie Crockett won’t be happy!

5:13 pm  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

I remember the Alamo! Admittedly, I was probably too young to have been there in the first place, but it was one of the first ‘night spots’ I ever visited in Dubai.

Too many changes, too many changes… must stop brain from spinning…

As for Cyclone closing, I hear that rumor every couple of years it seems. I wonder where all those (searching for nice words)… night ladies, will migrate to if they DO close it?! Scary thought, really.

10:20 am  
Blogger Grumpy Goat said...

I believe it was Terry Pratchett who referred to them as
Ladies of Negotiable Affection

2:32 pm  
Anonymous Oscar said...

That place was bloody boring.

9:58 pm  
Anonymous rob said...

long live the alamo (and all that staggered out of there.)

3:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home