ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Friends Dis-United

Ever been to www.friendsreunited.com? It's a brilliant site that has a massive database of who was at what school / college / university / workplace at what time. I've used it in the past and got in touch with people I thought I'd lost touch with forever. Guess what?

Etisalat have blocked it! Now what on earth is all that about. What moronic, brainless, idiotic, pathetic arrogance is our wonderful ISP up to now? Tell you what, I'll undergo the pain of using their website and try to get an answer.

Wish me luck.

UPDATE: Two minutes later, I've clicked on the Feedback link, and now I'm staring in disbelief at a form that expects me to give my username and password over an unsecure connection! OK, I'll try the telephone thing.

UPDATE: After ten minutes in call-centre hell, a real bloke answered the phone. After spending a few more minutes trying to get him to grasp the speelin of friendsreunited, he gave up, and asked me to send an email to help@eim.ae. So I have, but I'm not expecting to get a reply anytime this century. I asked the guy how his application for a job with du was going, and he just laughed.

UPDATE: Just received an automated reply. My case number is a bit over 2.6 million - I really hope these case numbers are not sequential! And guess what - to find out if they've done anything about it, I have to go to their website and login with my account name and password. And it's still not a secure link. Bloody hell.

UPDATE: thanks to Jin, who has just spoken with Etisalat about this: it's classified as a 'dating' site, and is therefore incompatible blah-de-blah. This is the height of idiocy from Etisalat, Keefieboy's offence level is: VERY OFFENDED.

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger sheikha cheryl said...

Its because it is a site where people are trying to "get-in-touch-with-other-people" and that could mean illicite, clandestine meetings between people, but then again that's ok in private but a website is just too public.

8:17 pm  
Blogger samuraisam said...

Especially for you Keefie...
Etisalat: We are up your service!

8:39 pm  
Blogger Hot Lemon& Honey said...

don't give up :)

12:22 am  
Blogger redstar said...

Roll on Du...

11:11 am  
Blogger Jin said...

I've just got off the phone with Etisalat - this after sending an email of enquiry. I spoke to a very nice sounding chap who told me that friendsreunited.com is (now) classified as a 'Dating' site & is therefore banned under Islamic culture. He told me that even if it was family members trying to 'get in touch' with other family members, it would be classified as 'dating'. What?????I explained to him that I had recently been contacted by someone whom I had lost contact with almost 40 years ago (can you believe it!) but now can't access the site in order to reply to her. He said he understands my 'frustration' & that the best thing for me to do was to send an email about it. Which of course I already did before I rang him! This kind of censorship is worse than what we had in The Magic Kingdom.
Will Duh...........I mean Du be any different methinks???

1:02 pm  
Blogger Seabee said...

I wanted to look something up on the respected British actor Michael Kitchen. Tried his website
nothing-fancy.com/michaelkitchen and yes, its content is inconsistent with the religious, cultural, political and moral values of the United Arab Emirates.
Naturally, I found the same obstacles as you when I stupidly thought I should get Etisalat to unblock it. I didn't bother, which I guess is the result the system is designed to produce.

1:08 pm  
Blogger samuraisam said...

You have to learn how to call up Etisalat.
Just DO NOT let them talk you into hanging up the phone.
If you keep them on there long enough (20-30 minutes or more) you can get them to say or do anything almost, I got one of them to admit that it was unjust that Etisalat's cable broke and we had to pay for internet that didn't work, just DONT HANG UP, keep on pestering the shit out of them for as long as you can.

1:29 pm  
Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

Ridiculous! I guess it's only a matter of time before they get an idea about blocking blogger as well. Knock on wood. Afer all, Pakistan has already done it.

1:42 pm  
Blogger fabio prado said...

Jin is right.

HERE is the problem.

4:12 pm  
Blogger secretdubai said...

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk still works fine.

5:37 pm  
Blogger Keefieboy said...

SD: Ssh, don't tell 'em!

6:10 pm  
Blogger kaya said...

Up untill the time when TOP UP cards were available for dhs 30 we could buy them for 27.50 at times.
Then some SUPER IDIOTELLIGENT ANAL RETENTIVE CEO decided to come up with the RED/Green top up cards which are available for 25 and sell for that much too. Well well!!
But the fun did not end there.
For totally mysterious reason they introduced the BLUE(40 DHS) card.
The BLUE CARD btw is for people who subscribe to the now redundant "e-vision", and wish to watch a movie on its PAY PER VIEW facility.
I like to watch movies on PAY PER VIEW, simply because its cheaper and it allows me to screen movies which I may not condiser suitable for my 10 year old to watch( ie indian flick which are all rated a G).
This weekend having put the kids to bed armed with a TOP UP, I decided to watch a movie.
HORRORS my green top up was not accepted.
On calling the 800 number I was told I MUST GET A BLUE CARD.
Just for your information. Places that do not have the BLUE CARD
ALL AD COOPS
CARREFOURE
5 ADNOC PETROL PUMPS IN MY VICINITY
CHOITHRAMS
9 friendly neighbourhood supermarkets.

SO NOW WHAT?

10:29 am  
Blogger DubaiTeen said...

kaya- why don't you just buy some pirated DVDs for dhs. 15 with seven or so movies in them?? I've seen some of the sellers right out onto the pavements in full view of the main-roads with hundreds of CDs on display.

2:09 pm  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

If you’re waiting for the competition to raise the standards of Etisalat’s customer service, don’t your breath. I’ve got inside, they’re pretty much partners when it comes to who actually owns and runs what…

3:35 pm  
Blogger Axonsax said...

you can access the UK site on

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk

should not highlight that really should I...? Prob be blocked tomorrow....

www.dangerdxb.blogspot.com

3:40 pm  
Blogger Omni said...

Not to sound intolerant of other cultures, but... that's a little much.

6:47 am  
Blogger kaya said...

Because dubaitenn this is ABUDHABI. They dont sell them here.
Not because I have any scruples about Piracy.

tainted female: thats because one hand washes the other. only way to survive in a monarchy. Suck up to de MON in power.

1:38 pm  
Blogger Grumpy Goat said...

Funny how adult dating sites are banned as 'not in keeping with the cultural..blah, blah...' and yet Matrimonial Services for expat Indians go unmolested by Etisalat's big black marker. Check out the front page of the on line Khaleej Times if you don't believe me.

1:34 pm  
Blogger MD said...

grrr etisalat. they are banning everything that's NOT a dating website and i sent them a link of an actual dating site and it's still unblocked. perfect.

5:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home