ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Dwarf Bread

I like Arabic bread, but there is a problem with it: it only comes in two sizes, small and gigantic. The small stuff is about 5 inches across, and generally has the flavour and texture of sweetish white fluff. The big stuff is close to a mile across and has a nice chewy texture but it would take us a week to get through a whole packet. So most of it generally languishes in the freezer for a while, or sometimes we save a bit of time and energy and bin it immediately.

A few days ago I thought I'd have a go at making some myself, with the intention of making medium-sized pieces. Hmm. Complete screw-up. I made authentic Dwarf Bread. Now if you're a fan of Terry Pratchett you'll have a good idea of what Dwarf Bread is about. And if you're not, why not? OK, the Dwarfs of the DiscWorldTM, have traditionally baked round flat bread that
a) you can eat, and
b) you can use as a weapon. It's rock-hard, and the perimeter can be sharpened to a lethal edge. That's what I made.

Oh, and by the way, did you know that Dubai has its very own Dwarf Bread Factory? It's in Al Quoz and it's called Strategic Foods. I don't know what they do exactly, but every time I drive past it my head fills up with thoughts of Dwarf Bread and other stuff that might be too dangerous to mention here.