ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Friday, February 24, 2006

The Ports Thang

Amazing how stuff gets out of hand isn't it?

When objections to DP World's takeover of P & O, and specifically half a dozen US ports, began to surface from various US politicians, I was, frankly, amazed.

That one of the objectors is Hillary Clinton, whose husband is a regular fixture on the speaking circuit here in Dubai, is truly astonishing. And despite the fact that the role of DP World is restricted simply to management of the ports in question - they will neither own them nor be responsible for security - supposedly educated and responsible Senators are still jumping up and down about it.

I understand that this is mere political posturing, and was greatly heartened by a letter from an American published in today's Gulf News

To our friends in Dubai: We in the US are about to go through a political rough spot, as happens. Conservatives, supporters of the Bush administration, are furious at the sale of P&O to DP World....Many ugly things will be said to distract from the main point that we want progress in specific areas. It's disappointing, yet predictable, the "race card" is being played so early in the process. Please bear with us.

And now DPW are delaying the US bit of the deal so that the US politicians can score points off each other.

Hmmm.

10 Comments:

Blogger Duffy said...

Conservatives? Is he crazy? Hillary Clinton is conservative? I think he's been out in the sun too long.

8:25 pm  
Blogger Keefieboy said...

Well, it was a simplistic letter - the objectors are Dems and Reps. But the point is that this is just political argy-bargy, and this has to be explained to us a-political creatures here in the Gulf. I think.

9:47 pm  
Anonymous DIL said...

democrats and republicans,

I prefer the local names Donkeys and Elephants

12:09 am  
Blogger Hot Lemon& Honey said...

America....LOL...I am not suprised with any of that...I would have been suprised if it this didnt happen...

1:04 am  
Blogger Seabee said...

I agree, it was predictable. Ignorance, racism, paranoia is the norm in the good ol' US of A and politicians, in an election year, are just shamelessly tapping into it in their frenzy to get votes.
Typical was Senator Lindsey Graham saying that the "UAE vows to destroy Israel'.

11:18 am  
Blogger Jin said...

The absolute ignorance of the majority of supposedly 'educated' Americans is laughable. I wouldn't mind betting half the politicians involved don't even know where Dubai is! Bushyboy won't give a toss about the actual sale, so long as he can score bucks for his ever diminishing war chest!

5:31 pm  
Blogger Jin said...

Keef, you're gonna get me into trouble! I was s'posed to remember to get a dvd ready to record the Six Nations match & I would've forgotten totally if Hubs hadn't buzzed me on Messenger...............I was too busy reading your blog! *sigh* :-)

5:52 pm  
Blogger Keefieboy said...

Jin: I'm so sorry. I'll try to make my blog more boring in future. OK?

6:24 pm  
Blogger John B. Chilton said...

Conservatives? Hillary Clinton and the New York Times editorial writers are conservative? On that score the letter makes my blood boil. Too bad the Gulf News chose to perpetuate that nonsense.

The unfortunate fact is that 80% of Americans oppose the sale. Given that Republicans are in the minority - just better organized and motivated when it comes to voting and in picking candidates acceptable to the American middle - you do the math. Hillary Clinton is showing the same stripes as Lindsey Graham on this one - both are shameless.

I'm optimistic Americans will come around on this one. At least it's all being debated out in public. It's not pretty, but it is right.

As far as the comment above about Bush - well it's clear your mind is closed on the issue. If all Bush wanted to do was scare the American people and make war he would have opposed the sale of the port operations. Instead, he's following through on his commitment to open exchange. His bottomline isn't war - it's protecting the American people and that means changing the world including openness to investment in America by companies in the Islamic world.

5:17 pm  
Blogger naaz said...

I was shocked and distressed to c the kind of things written and sai about dubai as far as the DPW deal was considered. I mean, I admit it that I am in love with this country so I mite get a little over-emotional but this was outrageous......I totally agree with jin that half thepoliticians wouldn't even know where Dubai is. I even read some sites claiming that Osama Bin Laden was hiding here.....I think if we were to compare the security systems....it was more probable that he wud b hiding in America than UAE.

8:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home