ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Treo Update

So, I spoke to the shop, and they referred me to the distributor. Distributor asked for the IMEI number (this is a number that uniquely identifies every mobile device on the planet) and said 'it's not one of ours'. Back to the shop. Aah, the other distributor. I call the other distributor and after the usual endless music-on-hold-passed-from-pillar-to-post ritual, I speak to the right person. I explain the problem, and she says 'oh, that always happens'. Hmmm. 'Can you fix it?' I ask, naïvely. 'No sir', she says 'we have to send it to the Czech Republic, and they will send a replacement. After 20 days'.

Resisting the urge to go ballistic I ask her if it wouldn't be a good idea for them to keep a stock of replacements. She says they do try to, but they've run out and they ordered another five three weeks ago but they've had no response and they don't know what's going on. So, I say 'have you got any 600s?'. And she says 'yes we have lots'. So I say 'let me have one of those while the 650 is on its holiday'. 'No sir, not allowed to do that' is the reply.

Aaaargh. What a ridiculous situation and a pathetic way to run an 'after-sales service' (not the distributor - Palmone itself).

A bit later the mobile rings. I answer it and say 'I can hear you, but my phone's broken so you can't hear me'. 'Oh no, I can hear you fine!' says the bod on the other end. This is possibly worse than a completely dead phone, because with an intermittent problem you can just bet that every time I take it to the service centre it will work.

Technology. I hate it.