ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Friday, August 19, 2005

Blog Shortage

My old buddy Persona Non Grata posted a comment on my previous post complaining about the lack of new stuff. Well, here goes.

Since I got back from holiday I've been finding it very hard to re-adjust to Do Buy. I thought I had this down pat - I've never expected Do Buy to be like anywhere else, and on the whole I've just accepted the various kinds of silliness that go on here. After all, I'm a 'guest' here, although I can't quite remember who invited me, and if I don't like it I can always bugger off somewhere else right?

In my absence we've had the blocking and unblocking of Secret Dubai by Etisalat. We've had the promise and unpromise of citizenship for expats who've lived here for 20 years. We've had the strengthening of the ridiculous and pointless 6-month employment ban for anyone who dares to try to change their job. We've had confusion over the cost/validity of visit visas. We have this ongoing tosh about folks not being able to have a visible satellite dish or drying washing on their roof / balcony etc. And the banning of outdoor shwarma stands just puts a lid on the whole shebang.

But what has been worse is a spate of nothing-less-than vitriolic commenting about these issues on other local blogs. Especially Luke the Happy Expat on SD, Emarati / Zen on each others blogs, and some others.

So basically what I'm saying is that I don't actually have a good thing to say about Do Buy at the moment, and I don't want to invite buckets of vitriol from eejits who take one single article out of context, therefore I will keep my thoughts to myself.