ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Interweb Woes

Flippin' 'eck.

Our gorgeous ISP, Etisalat, has been having a few problems in providing an acceptable level of service lately. They say that not one, but two subsea cables have been damaged by sinking ships near Mumbai. This has been widely published (and ridiculed) in the press, but until today I have not been online at home since returning from the real world, and so I had no idea how severe the problem was. Today I decided to work from home, and now I know just how crap the situation is. General interweb access is hopelessly slow, FTP (File Transfer Protocol, which I need for uploading files to web servers) is virtually crippled, and I am not a happy bunny.

Etisalat is not at present proposing to give a refund or anything customer-friendly like that, so we continue to pay more than probably any other country on the planet for a service that is nowhere near to working properly.

Ah, the joys of operating an unregulated monopoly.