ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Good Morning

As mentioned previously, my car has a flat tyre. I had resolved to get up early so I could change the bloody thing before the sun came up and made everything too hot. I needn't have bothered, the weather this morning is 100% cloudy, with a bit of a cool breeze. Thankfully the spare had some air in it, and I had no trouble changing the tyre. I am almost an expert at this, having had quite a bit of practice over the years. I don't know why it is, but tyres never seem to last very long in Dubai. And usually when I have to change a wheel it's because I've just had a blowout on or near the Sheikh Zayed Highway, normally in the middle of roadworks where there's no hard shoulder and you just cannot stop, and always around about midday when the temperature is not less than 40° Celsius.

Small mercies, grateful.

UPDATE
So a bit later I attempted to go to the office, and had got maybe 5 metres when I heard a disconterting squeaking/grinding noise from the wheel that I'd replaced. Dang! Off with the jacket and out with jack to check that the wheel was on properly. It was. But the wheel itself was a bit out of kilter. Not going anywhere with a wheel like that. I called the hire company, and they said they would send a replacement car 'immediately'. Three hours later it turned up. Then we had to do a bit of jiggery-pokery with the spare wheel from the new car so that the guy who delivered it could drive it back safely. Which means that the spare in the new car has the slow-punctured tyre.

Remind me to get it fixed!