ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Still Can't Tell Left From Right

One of my very early posts was about my left-handedness. Part of this disablility means that I cannot readily tell left from right. I thought I had this sussed, because the only time it really matters is when I'm driving and BetterArf is giving navigational instructions. This is usually quite easily solved because we drive on the left (no we don't, we drive on the right - ED) in this country, so BetterArf is ALWAYS RIGHT.

With the impending arrival of visitors tomorrow, and the improbable hour of their arrival, we decided to email them a map and instructions, so that they could find their own way here in a taxi. So I've revised the map (which has been praised for its accuracy by several visitors), and sent it to them. But I thought it would be nice to send a textual description of how it goes. As in 'take the 3rd turn on the left, then the 2nd turn on the left' etc. A few hours ago BetterArf read this email out to me, and asked what was wrong with it. At which point I realised that every single reference to 'left' should actually have been 'right'. Oh my gawd. And really, I thought about this for a long time and was sure it was correct.

Nobody's perfect, except BetterArf. But I hope our guests follow the map rather than my crap instructions. Actually they literally could not do it - there are no left turns on any of the roads they will be using...