ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Secret Holiday

BetterArf and I decided a few weeks ago that we really need to take a proper holiday this coming Easter / Spring Break. We've both been so tired and stressed that we'll probably die if we don't do it.

When it comes to organising travel I am Mr Last-Minute, so BetterArf volunteered to sort this one out. I was quite happy to be surprised (I used to hate surprises, but I'm a grown-up now).

So I was surprised when I got an email from the travel agent a few days ago, addressed to KeefieBoy and BetterArf, and giving full details of the itinerary for the proposed holiday. I didn't mention it to the boss because I wasn't supposed to know. Anyway, in the car this afternoon, she said that in view of certain recent unexpected and massive expenditure (I'll maybe tell you about it when we have left this country), we ought to think about scaling back the planned holiday and just go somewhere local.

'So Kenya's off, then?', say I. 'How did you know about Kenya?' says the boss. I explained about the errant email. 'Dang', she says, 'why didn't you tell me? I've been waiting for that for a week!' I said that I knew it was meant to be a surprise, so I thought it best to keep quiet about it. But I was surprised she'd not also had a copy of it.

BetterArf went on a conference in Nairobi a couple of years ago and raved about it, so I was actually quite keen to have a look. Ach well, another time maybe.