ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Sunday, January 09, 2005

Polar Express

We went to see Polar Express, the computer-animated Christmas movie. Pretty amazing stuff, especially the action sequences. I was on the edge of my seat during these roller-coaster rides. Apparently, there is a 3D IMAX version, which would be absolutely sensational.

The whole movie had a slightly surreal look to it - one step removed from the clean perfection that computer graphics achieves by default. It's kind of hard to describe, but the film looks like hand-painted hyper-realistic illustrations. Weirdly interesting.

I must admit I never had any intention of seeing this movie on the strength of the trailer which really didn't grab me at all. And that's probably down to the train Conductor's moustache, which is a bit too perfectly-trimmed and plastic-looking. But BetterArf went to see it yesterday, and dragged me along to see it today. It's definitely a movie that will bear repeated watching. This a good thing because it will most certainly become a Christmas fixture on TV.

Go see it.