ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Mega-Project Overload

If you've been following this blog for a few months, you will have noticed me reporting new mega-projects as they are announced. We got another one today, and it is stupendous. It's called 'Dubai Waterfront', and is another bunch of artificial islands. These are in the shape of a circle to the west of The Palm Jebel Ali. They are saying that this will become home to 750,00 people! It will include 'Al Burj' which I mentioned in an earlier blog (it was known as 'The Pinnacle' then). Dubai Waterfront will extend to the Abu Dhabi border.

As if that wasn't enough, the project includes the world's longest canal, which will extend maybe 15-20 km inland from Waterfront, then head east, parallel to the coast, before returning to the sea near The Palm Jumeirah. There will be all sorts of developments on the banks of this canal.

It's all a bit much to take in. Sheikh Mohammed keeps saying 'you ain't seen nothing yet' - actually what he says is 'what has been announced now is only about 10% of what we are planning'.

And now I am off to the 4th Birthday Party for Dubai Media City, where we are promised another major announcement.

5 Comments:

Blogger Amrit(raj) said...

true ... know exactly what you mean ...
was wondering about the exact same thing on my way to work today, Dubai - a speck on the map yet ambitions and actions that seems to be outdoing any other country in the world.

its moving at an awfully fast pace - if you ask me.
it all seems so artifical and superficial.

11:52 am  
Blogger karrvakarela said...

While there is a reflexive tendency here in the UAE to periodically wax nostalgic about the past, even if it is only to sharpen the contrast with how amazing and progressive things are now, I think Dubai really was a much better place to be in say twenty years ago. Things weren't so frantic and people were more relaxed. It may not have been much of a consumer paradise but then who wants their city to be ravaged every so often by a tribe of marauding spendthrifts.

Compared to how it used to be and what it's become now, the government's ambitions for the city seem almost neurotic.

6:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya Keef,

Every time I want to read your blog (usually a thursday morning just after Cher has gone to work and usually about once a month or so) I have to go searching through my emails to find one from you ('cos they are in time of arrival order and I can't be bothered reordering them) and then click on the little blue word blog. So I have, this morning come to a momentous decision - I am going to add your blog to my favourites list. Now I know that, although this comment has bugger all to do with the Mega-Project Overload story upon which it is an alleged comment but I also know you will be chuffed!

Cheers bud

Bill

8:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS, I wish I'd read that before posting - perhaps the English might have been a bit better! Maybe you should put a bit in that allows us to edit our own posts.

8:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found this link which had full deatils of the Dubai Waterfront.

6:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home