ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Friday, January 21, 2005

New-look Blog

Wotcha fans,

A week ago I promised you a new look for my blog. I finally solved my problem, and no, I haven't been working on it all week, I've had a ton of real work to do. But today being Friday, our day of 'rest', I've been fiddling with it again.

The main problem that I had was that I wanted my fixed-width content to be centred on the screen. Now, Blogger templates are very politically-correct, and use only CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) for layout. This is how things are meant to be in this brave new world of web design. But it turns out to be virtually impossible to achieve what I wanted.

So I've just done the most obvious thing, which is to slap the entire page content inside a table with a 'center' attribute. And, as you see it works.

I have to say, CSS can do some wonderful things, but the contortions you have to go through to get there are just beyond belief, and the network of interactions that various classes can have on apparently unrelated elements can take an awful long time to sort out. That's what you get when you let engineers loose on designing things. One of these days I'm going to tell you about how to operate our combi microwave/convection/grill machine, but I promise not to do the same expose on our VCR because I simply cannot understand that at all.

If the above is all Greek to you, don't worry about it, but do leave a comment and let me know what you think of the new look. Here's a hint - I think it's bland but very easy on the eyeballs.

PS I'm still fiddling with it - having published the entire thing, the font size for body text has decided to be 'microscopic' - bloddy hell.

PPS I think I've fixed the font size problem, but I've just checked it in Mozilla Firefox and there's something bizarre going on. Y'know, ever since I've been a Web designer, any browser produced by Netscape and its successor Mozilla always gives problems. They get all righteous and holier-than-though about this, claiming strict adherence to standards, but you know what? They lie.