ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Saturday, January 01, 2005

2005!

Just to demonstrate how sad and boring I am. I wish you a very happy 2005. It is 0045 on Jan 1. BetterArf and I have had an intoxicating New Year's Eve, sitting as high up as we could get on Jebel Ali (a Jebel is a hill, and Jebel Ali is the highest point in the Emirate of Dubai). We could see the spectacular fireworks from the hotels on the Jumeirah Beach Strip, as well as what looked like marine distress flares fairly close to us. These flares went up fast and came down real slow, as if they were on parachutes. BetterArf was intrigued by this, and went to retrieve one as it came down. It did indeed have a parachute attached.

So there you go. We could have spent upwards of 70 quid for a sumptuous buffet and entertainment jobbie at one of the hotels hereabouts. We had an offer to go camping in the desert. But we've done those things before, and fancied a laid-back, quiet time this year. And that's what we got.

And I sincerely hope that 2005 is better for everybody than 2004. My 2004 was possibly the worst year I've ever had, but you don't want to know about that and I don't want to tell you.

Chin up, tiddly pom, life goes in an onward direction. Happy New Year!