ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Get Stuffed

Just been and bought a wee turkey for the big day, 7.6 kilos should be big enough for the three of us. And they gave me a free chicken! Maybe I'll stuff the turkey with it. And I can stuff the chicken with a pigeon, and the pigeon with a quail. This reminds me of a (made-up?) recipe for stuffed camel. If I remember right, it goes something like this;

INGREDIENTS
1 camel, gutted and skinned
1 large sheep
1 dog
10 chickens
10 small hammour (local fish)

METHOD
Stuff one fish into each chicken. Stuff the chickens into the dog. Stuff the dog into the sheep. Stuff the sheep into the camel. Spit roast until tender (probably about 24 hours).

I've only ever eaten camel once. It was about 12 years ago when my wife and son had come to visit me during my horrible year in Riyadh. You could buy hunks of camel at the local supermarket. We just had to try it, but sadly, Delia Smith's 'How to Cook Everything' was a bit short on recipes for camel, so I just pretended it was beef. It was OK, but probably needed longer, slower roasting.

Labels: , ,