ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Saturday, September 09, 2006

The Long Weekend

I've been testing the new Friday/Saturday weekend. Being self-employed, I tend to work all the time with the result that I am half-dead by the time my holidays arrive. So, mindful of the fact that BetterArf wants me to live at least as long as her, I'm adopting the Fri/Sat weekend. There's one small 'but' in there, which is that I will be working on a personal project on Saturdays at least, because if the end result of this project is succesful we won't be having to worry about pensions anymore.

So, this weekend has been very sociable: Thursday evening; at Tim Newman's leaving do, Friday; a long lunch with Mr & Mrs Dubaibilly, and today; some work, lunch at Aprés in the Mall of the Emirates followed by a bit more work followed by nothing much really.

Aprés is a bit surreal. It's actually a part of the Kempinski Hotel. It's a restaurant/bar and it overlooks the ski slope. The interior design is pure Brit sixties. The food is fairly eclectic, but fondues feature prominently. Good fun. After an hour or so sitting watching the skiers and the snowboarders, it was weird to leave the place and realise that you are still in the middle of the desert!

But I do like this weekend idea.