ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Friday, August 25, 2006

Old. Peculier.

We tootled off to Scunthorpe the next day and had a minor scrape with the ticket inspector who said our tickets weren't valid but he'd let us off this time. BetterArf's mum and dad both live in Scunthorpe, separately. First stop was mother-in-law's, and after a quick cup of tea we headed off to a nice local pub for lunch. This pub has Theakston's Old Peculier on draught and I thought I'd try it. I've had OP in the past, and enjoyed it, but I really wasn't prepared for this. It was absolutely superb! I emptied half the glass with my first sip. Two more sips and it was all gone. The barmaid was still doing the rest of the order and looked with puzzlement at my empty glass. I ordered another one. Oh it was marvellous!

We spent the afternoon doing a spot of shopping, and I made a tortilla in the evening. This was the only cooking that I got to do on the entire trip.

The next day we headed across town to the daddy-in-law's. He's an excellent cook with a well-stocked drinks cupboard and a broadband connection. What more could anyone ask for! He very kindly drove us over to the house of our writer friends, but they were out. We left a note to let them know we were in town and gave them the phone number at daddy-in-law's. We didn't hear from them till the next day though because that's when they found the note.

So the next day was our last full one in England. We went to see 'Kate Walker' and her husband that evening and had a lovely time. As always, we came away laden with books - our wedding present from them was a copy of every book she had published. We only see them every two or three years so there were about six new titles to catch up with. Plus, hubbie has recently started getting published so we got three of his books too! Of course I wasn't worried about the damn baggage allowance!

And that, dear munchkins, is about all I have to say about our holiday. Apart from it was totally fab and I loved it. Farmer-girl loved it too.

Labels: ,