ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Accidental New Toy

If you've been following this blog assiduously (and if not it's about time you started), you may remember that my laptop can be a bit temperamental. I'm talking about bouts of screen flickering mainly, but also suffering from a severe shortage of free space. So I've been expecting to have to replace it any time now, and I've been keeping my eyes open for laptop bargains.

Anyhoo, yesterday afternoon the screen failed completely. I can still use the laptop with an external monitor, but the only spare one we have weighs far more than I would risk placing on our glass-topped dining table. So my plan this morning was to buy the cheapest flat-screen monitor I could find. You can now pick these up for under Dhs 700, and the smallest size that can be had is 17". I made my selection and the guy from GĂ©ant went off to find it in the warehouse.

While he was doing that, I had a quick look at their laptops for future reference. Prices start from just under Dhs 4,000. But wait! Here's one for Dhs 2,499! Fujitsu-Siemens, 60 Gb hard disk, 512 Mb RAM, DVD-writer, wide screen, looks nice. When my salesman comes back I ask him why it's so cheap. He says that basically it's a discontinued model and this is the last one they have: so it's been fingered a bit by punters, but otherwise unused and comes with a full one-year warranty. I have a quick consultation with BetterArf, and she tells me to buy it.

So I bought it. Yeehaaa!