ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Monday, July 17, 2006

Sitting On The Fence?

The UAE blogosphere looks like it's ignoring the ongoing madness in Israel / Palestine / Lebanon. Several of the bloggists have stated their reasons for their silence, generally a professed ignorance of the political ins and outs of the situation. I will add my voice to the silence. I have no wish to get drawn into arguments that I cannot even begin to comprehend.

But I will say this. While I'm not a fan of Hamas and Hezbollah, I do think Israel's current actions are insanely disproportionate (and I never thought I'd find myself agreeing with anything Jacques Chirac ever said, but there you go). How does blowing up Lebanon's infrastructure and dozens of innocent civilians solve anything? And how long before Iraq and Syria get involved? And for God's sake when is America going to stop congratulating Israel for every little brain-fart and give it a good slap upside the ear?

I had thought that Olmert might be a bit more sensible than Sharon, but it's now clear that he's a mad bugger too. What a mess. Oh, and it's all Britain's fault because of something our idiot colonial Government and that cretin Balfour did 60 years ago.