ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Mr. Happy

Today's papers all carry stories on a report by the UK's New Economic Foundation. I love this snippet from 7Days:

"Out of 178 countries, the UAE came a satisfyingly crap 156. Of course, we were never going to beat Russia for sheer discontent (a truly dismal 172), but we are indeed a bunch of miserable gits."

Miserable gits indeed. Even the UK beat us, at 108th! And the UAE blogosphere is apparently no different. I frequently come across posts in other blogs that throw a blanket across all other blogs and blindly accuse them of being whingey and negative. I don't know, and don't much care, whether those kind of sweeping statements are ever supposed to include this blog. I hope not. On the odd occasion when I do write something negative (and frankly how can you not when we have the likes of Etisalat and our cute local banks to write about?), I try to balance it with something positive. I don't want a depressed readership!

Back to the report - it measures three indicators: the amount of the Earth’s resources a country uses, the life-expectancy of the population, and the happiness of their lives. So the UAE would certainly score a big fat zero for resource-use. As far as general happiness is concerned, the report is based on interviews - I have no idea how many interviews and what the demographic profile was, but I imagine the demographics could skew (or screw) the results quite dramatically in the UAE.

And the thing you're dying to know: is Keefieboy a happy camel? Well, on the whole, yes he is. He has a wonderful wife, a genius child, a nice apartment, good health and a successful business that keeps the wolf from the door. He also has an 'escape the UAE' plan that makes him very happy indeed. So whatever you may read here about the daily trials and tribulations of Britpat life in the UAE, do not be deceived. There are many much worse places to live, and frankly, I don't think I could be happy living on Vanuatu, apparently the world's happiest country.

10 Comments:

Blogger nzm said...

Vanuatu is a wonderful place!

Tax free too!

4:44 pm  
Blogger Desert Lady said...

My word nzm - is there anywhere you haven't been!!??

6:04 pm  
Blogger secretdubai said...

I don't know, and don't much care, whether those kind of sweeping statements are ever supposed to include this blog.

I shouldn't worry about it - most of those comments tend to derive from ignorance, when someone has read one or two recent entries that happen to be negative, and jump to conclusions. Happens to me a lot. Most people that stay around eventually read enough of your blog to realise what it's about, and change their opinion.

Your blog is pretty cheery and funny though, so I very much doubt any criticism is aimed at you.

The problem is we all have bad weeks, and there are bad news weeks. If someone visits for the first time during that week, their first impression tends to be that it's all negative. I have nearly several years of highly varied entries to disprove this, as do you, so I no longer really give a shit.

6:08 pm  
Blogger nzm said...

desert lady - I come from that neck of the woods and Vanuatu was a neighbouring country, so it was inevitable that we would visit there.

Gorgeous tropical island, if you like that kind of thing - and I do!

8:32 pm  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Well… To reassure you.. When I rant about complaining bloggers (and I do it all too often), I’m never thinking you. I enjoy your blog. It’s balanced and real. ;)

10:54 pm  
Blogger kaya said...

Sod this!
Ya Agha Keefie! I was just over at Sam's and I read you are leaving.
is this true?
Surely not....

3:49 am  
Blogger Keefieboy said...

Kaya: haven't been paying attention have you? Yes it's true, one year from now, vamos a Espana. We'd have left last year but BetterArf has to finish a fixed-term contract or be royally screwed by her employer.

11:38 am  
Blogger halfmanhalfbeer said...

Great post. Sometimes I feel that I am the only person here who likes living in Dubai. Last night at a dinner party the topic of conversation got around to life in Dubai, as it always seems to do, and it was the usual moaning and griping, blah blah blah.

I pipe up and say that I really like living here, think it is a great place. Nowhere is perfect but Dubai is pretty damn good compared with a LOT of other places. Stunned silence all round the table, and all looked at me as if I am mad.

They are not wrong mind you (about the mad bit), but it is strange. It seems to me that it would be much easier if they don't like it here they should find somewhere else to live.

2:22 pm  
Anonymous Waggamamma said...

Did you dine with wife and child on thursday PM at Waggamamma's?

3:27 am  
Blogger halfmanhalfbeer said...

Keefieboy, I have linked this post from my blog. Hope you don't mind!

HMHB

1:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home