ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Monday, May 15, 2006

It's A Draw!!!

I'm not a huge football fan, but I do like to watch the big games. So the other night I trooped down to Jelly Baby Cloob to watch the English F.A. Cup Final. Being a chappie of the Northern persuasion, I wanted Liverpool to win. But I freely admit that West Ham were the better team for most of the match. Steven Gerrard scored a wonderful goal in the 90th minute to bring the teams equal at 3-all. So they go into extra time, and nobody can manage another goal. Players are dropping like flies with cramp, exhaustion, whatever.

I think both teams would have been very happy to call it a draw, and split the cup down the middle. But no, these Cup tournaments always have to have a Winner, and so it goes to the dreaded penalty shoot-out. As it happened, Liverpool had the luck, because they wear red (previous post: Red Always Wins).

I hate this. Two teams play their hearts out for 120 minutes, and it turns out that at that place and time, they were 'equal' to each other. So that's a draw, isn't it? The penalties thing, golden goals, play till you die, etc, are all just idiotic devices to produce a 'winner', but in those circumstances, for me, the 'victory' is meaningless. There is zero skill involved in these deciders, only luck.

Brilliant game though.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger bandicoot said...

A penalty shootout is only second to a goalless match in its tastelessness. I yet to meet any football fan who'd say a kind word about it. I don't think it's pure luck, but it's a cruel way to end a two-hour game with 22 people using everything they have across the open battle field. The only consolation was that I watched it in the Alamo, where it was the last night and they had one of the best and longest happy hours in Dubai! Some of the bottles in those ice buckets, I've never seen before! Where the hell have they been hiding them?

11:41 pm  
Blogger Omni said...

Sometimes a draw IS better...

Omni

10:33 am  
Blogger Seabee said...

I have to agree. In the lead-up games they obviously have to have a winner but in the final what's wrong with an honourable draw, both names on the cup?

3:49 pm  
Blogger Harsha said...

hey - u got no archives links.. trying to catch up on ur blog.

12:21 pm  
Blogger Keefieboy said...

Harsha: I do have archive links -> over there on the right. But you have to be on my home page to see them - they don't show up on comments pages.

12:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home