ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Monday, April 03, 2006

ABC

A few years ago, Khaleej Times signed up with ABC (Audit Bureau of Circulation) to have their circulation figures audited. They made a huge song and dance about this, pointing out that they were the only paper in the Gulf to have done so.

Two weeks ago, Gulf News signed up with them and BPA Worldwide

..."and challenged them to apply the same stringent end-to-end transparency and standards across all other publications, (...)" said Obaid Humaid Al Tayer, managing director of the Al Nisr Group, publisher of Gulf News and associated titles.

Today, Gulf News has reported that ABC is withdrawing from the Middle East market

This confirms our belief that the previous audits offered by ABC could not stand up to intensive scrutiny," he (Al Tayer) said.

Very very strange. It doesn't actually matter to me which is the biggest selling paper. And to advertisers, it's not total numbers, it's demographic breakdowns that are crucially important. Khaleej Times is a woeful attempt at a newspaper that I read not more than once a week, purely for amusement, and only if I come across a free copy. I would never, ever, pay money for a KT. GN is a halfway decent paper that I probably buy three or four times a week.

But I can do without this constant and utterly pointless sniping.

6 Comments:

Blogger samuraisam said...

Confidence is one thing, but titling yourself as the "favorite number one paper" of the UAE is very pathetic.

My family in Dubai gets Gulf News delivered every day of the year; worth it.
Khaleej Times is an absolute joke, I’ve never paid for a copy in my entire life. Good that it’s available online for free (:

2:40 pm  
Blogger Harsha said...

During my 12th grade, I was an intern for Galadari Automobiles, I joined them a month after they had launched the MAZDA 6 in Dubai. Mazda 6 came as a replacement for Mazda 626 and they were in the process of making provisions of launching MAZDA 3 shortly. They could not do so until they sell out all existing stock of the 323 model.

The marketing budget for 323 was limited to newspaper advertisement only. Belonging to the Galadari group, they werent allowed to advertise SPECIFICALLY in Gulf News.Only Khaleej Times was allowed.
The marketing guys were soooo frustrated and often said things in the line of 'who reads this crappy paper anyway!'

3:52 pm  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

I honestly believe that any real journalist need NOT be in the Emirates. Journalism is a profession I admire, but any English writing journalist who is working in this country at present needs to start looking elsewhere, before that mark on their CV does more harm than good.

Not a single paper here shows professionalism, few of them show attempts to edit, and rarely will you find substance or truth in the stories (this of course being more due to the source integrity than the journalist’s research abilities).

The only reason anyone buys either of these papers is because nothing else is available locally.

GN almost looked professional at a glance; prior to that make-over they did a few years back.

4:24 pm  
Blogger Harsha said...

Did I hear a rant from Tainted?

4:45 pm  
Blogger sheikha cheryl said...

MINE'S BIGGER THAN YOURS ... Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na!

5:39 pm  
Blogger Jin said...

I read GN online in the morning.....I checked the KT site out once & that was enough! I used to buy the paper on a Wednesday, just for the TV guide/supplement mag, but don't bother now as I'm told it's only available on subscription. Sod 'em!

8:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home