ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Another Mega Project

News today that the Dubai World Trade Center precinct is to be re-developed. I began reading this in utter disbelief. They are proposing to put 40 high-rise towers on the site. Then I read further - the 'site' now extends all the way up to the Emirates Towers. I hope they start with about six levels of underground parking!

The plan involves the much-mooted demolition of the Trade Center Apartment buildings, but the Trade Center itself will stay - it is an historic building, after all. The exhibition halls will be replaced by bigger and better ones, and the development will also feature more hotels, residences, offices, shopping and conference facilities. Because of course Dubai doesn't have enough of these things.

I know there's probably a 'super mega-plan' somewhere. A few years ago Sheikh Mohammed said that the projects announced so far amount to only 10% of what is planned. I would really like to know whether we are approaching 100% yet, because my poor little brain just can't take it all in.