ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Transport and Accommodation

Fast Lamborghini in KSAFast Lamborghini in KSA
My original job offer included ‘a car or travel allowance’. Since I had been compelled to stay in the apartment behind the office, Bongo had decided that I didn’t need a car or travel allowance after all. If I had to travel anywhere on business then the cost of that would be re-imbursed, provided that I had had three competitive tenders from taxi drivers, and chosen the cheapest one. Eventually I got him to agree that the original job offer was very clear on this point and that he had an obligation. So a backdated travel allowance was paid, and a small car would become available in a few weeks time when one of their engineers completed his short-term contract and returned the Chevrolet Sprint the office had given him.

I spent a couple of days acquiring a Saudi Driving Licence, and then Ibrahim the Saudi PRO took me out for a couple of driving lessons. Of course, I knew how to drive in England, but driving in Saudi is quite a different proposition.


On the housing issue, though, I could not make Bongo budge. The job offer had only said ‘accommodation will be provided’, there was no mention of Western compounds, and really I should be grateful to have a luxurious penthouse apartment in Sulimaniyah, Riyadh’s answer to London’s Mayfair. Well, maybe I should have been grateful. If I’d had my family with me I probably would have been…

Labels: