ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Friday, October 14, 2005

Experimental Food Day

On our brief trip to Maul of the Emirates yesterday, we picked up a couple of things from Car4 that we don't normally come across. Namely: goat (got a small chunk of goat leg), and quinces (got 2).

I googled 'goat recipes' and settled on one for goat tagine. BetterArf found an Australian recipe for baked quince with orange syrup. The tagine took about 3 hours to cook. I was a bit disappointed because we do have a Moroccan tagine (ie the ceramic pot with conical lid) but I couldn't use the lid because it wouldn't fit in the combi-oven, and I had to cover the base dish with foil. I couldn't use the real oven because BetterArf had got first dibs on it. Anyway, the tagine turned out to be supremely disappointing - it should have had some dried apricots in it and I totally forgot to put them in. The goat meat was tender but flavourless. Moving on...

The quince thing. BetterArf thought the syrup recipe called for way too much sugar, so she used less than it suggested. The quinces are basted with it during the baking. To serve them you pour the remaining syrup over them and serve with plain yoghurt. But oh the sweetness of the quinces and the syrup was just overwhelming. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, and when I took my first (and only) bite of the quince I could feel all my fillings wriggling to get out and go live somewhere else. BetterArf responded in much the same way, and the dessert was consigned to the desert. Ack.

We may have to order in a pizza later.

Labels: