ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Your Number One Favourite Newspaper

Welcome to the fold, Emirates Today. It's about a week old, and already has done at least two pieces on our lovely blogging community.

Will it be a winner? I think that's a definite maybe. Their USP be seems to be that you get a lot of content in a small package. It's a one-piece tabloid - no magazines, no advertising paper-ettes. Just one fat newspaper, like they were in the olden days before they started splitting themselves up into more and more sections (and thereby, of course, wasting more and more trees). So that's a good thing - I have always been irritated by the sheer volume of paper that publishers seem to think their customers want.

ET seems to have a good bit of writing talent, and a no-nonsense approach to news. There's hardly any advertising at the moment, but I'm sure that will change as they develop a stable readership and can deliver readers to advertisers. But they don't have any comic strips, and I'm sure GN won't let them have Dilbert, so I think my two dirhams will stick with GN rather than ET.

Oh, and I'm not impressed by ET's design. It looks cheap and lacks class. The first time I saw the masthead I thought someone had spilt red ink or blood on it. Hmmm.