ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Monday, September 19, 2005

Cityscape

Secret Dubai has been having a go at Gitex, the massive annual Computer exhibition in Dubai. I agree with what she says, it can be a very unpleasant experience. In fact I only go once every two or three years and I have an awful suspicion that this year I will have to go!

This morning I went to the Cityscape exhibition. This is much more manageable as it only occupies two halls. I only went because I love looking at architectural models - the one for FalconCity was particularly spectacular, even though it is a very silly project.

On my way into Dubai I passed a remarkable sight - hundreds of construction workers had completely blocked the Jebel Ali-bound carriageway of Sheikh Zayed road, apparently as a protest against non-payment of wages and poor living conditions. How they actually managed to get the traffic on the road to stop without anyone being hurt is a mystery to me, but the traffic was completely stopped and backed up for at least 5km when I passed the incident.