ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Monday, September 13, 2004

Another Bogus Name Story

Following on from the story about being Richard Branson, Elvis Presley & Bill Gates, here's another one (and I might tell you a story involving Rolf Harris at some stage, although it does reflect badly on UK 'yob culture').

A few years ago, when I was an active member of Dubai Drama Group, I was cast as Dr. Spivey in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. There was a tradition in the Group at that time that the Director of a play would reward the cast and crew with little presents at the end-of-run party. Usually these things would be cheap tat bought in the soukh. But Bill Bradley, who directed Cuckoo, had other ideas. Because most of the characters in the play seem to be chain-smokers, he decided to blow most of the budget for the play on genuine Zippo lighters, engraved with the name of the character.

So, the point of the story. A few weeks after the show, I was sitting at a bar, with fags and shiny new engraved Zippo on the counter in front of me. I finished my pint, and the attentive barchap came up to me and said 'same again Doctor?' I looked around, but no, he was talking to me. 'Dr. Spivey, yes?'.

I still have that lighter.