ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Comments on Blogger

As a web designer / developer, I must say I thought that setting up the blog and using the Blogger editor was an extremely cool experience. Except, of course for the inevitable irritation of using any web form designed by an American - they just don't understand that dates can be written in different formats in different parts of the world (these other parts of the world are called 'countries' and they do not belong to the USA - ed). So when I input my birthday, I suspected that I might get the date wrong, but the form offered no guidance on which box was the day and which was the month. This is bad design. In our work, we ALWAYS do the day and month (and sometimes the year) as a dropdown list. It's not hard to do, chaps.

I was impressed, though, when my birthday was translated into my star sign in my profile.

And at least this time I was not forced to invent a ZIP code. That's another bugbear. You would not believe how many forms I've tried to complete, but given up in frustration because my address doesn't fit their format.