ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Monday, June 25, 2007

The Liquid/Laptop Interface, and Other Stories

The last couple of days have not been the most wonderful. This morning, for the first time in my life, I managed to spill a few good slurps of hot tea onto my laptop keyboard. Suppress your mortification, it's not dead, only wounded. I can switch it on, but the keyboard just types any old drivel (not unlike me then), and the steering of the mouse is wildly erratic. Tomorrow I shall purchase a miniscule screwdriver and invalidate my warranty. Can't hardly wait.

Yesterday morning was blighted by a phone call from a Pakistani gentleman who said he wanted to buy our telly, as advertised on a posterette at Jebel Ali Choithram's. 'What brand is it?' He asked.
'I don't know - it's just some Chinese junk.'
'How much is it?'
'What it says on the poster.'
'It's too much.'
'OK, bye.'
'No wait. What else you selling?' Like a moron I told him. He insisted that I leave work and meet him at my apartment an hour later. He'd said he wanted stuff because his wife and daughter were arriving in Dubai tomorrow. Yeah, right. He was a dealer and he was interested in every appliance in the place. It was almost impossible to get rid of him. So, he's buying/bought: the fridge and cooker; the TV; the satellite decoder (won't work in Europe); the surround sound system (won't work anywhere); an old mobile phone; a broken bed and an exercise bike (crikey where did that come from!). I'm too ashamed to tell you how little I've let him have all this stuff for.

12 Comments:

Blogger DXBluey said...

go on... you know you want to...

1:08 am  
Blogger Grumpy Goat said...

When I moved from Doha, the Indian furniture buyers paid more for a five-year-old camcorder than for all of my furniture.

What is it about secondhand electronics? I always thought these were virtually worthless.

8:58 am  
Blogger Alexander said...

Because we're wasters, we sometimes throw stuff out. One such item was a broken office desk. I stood atop the villa and watched as a van full of geezers slowed down, decamped, stood around scratching heads and then disappeared. 15 mins later they're back with a flatbed truck and the desk exited.

However, the all-time record was a broken gazebo, removed after a storm smashed it last year. Time to removal from the wheelie-bin? 8 minutes!!!

BTW, ta for the link!!! :)

7:52 pm  
Blogger samuraisam said...

The laptop surgery sounds like it'll be fun.

alexander: That sounds like my family's favourite hobby... which is pretty much the same as you described except it usually takes an hour or so.

8:00 pm  
Blogger marwan said...

Hey keefie, if you need any help fixing it give me a shout...I am a retired engineer, you know...

9:25 pm  
Blogger Nick Clayton said...

I've been reading your blog with interest. I'm writing a book for The Guardian on living and working abroad (I'm already in Spain, sort of. I actually live in Ibiza which is really another planet.) Anyway, I wouldn't mind a chat about your experiences if you find time. Thanks Nick (Sorry about posting this as an irrelevant comment, but I couldn't find another way of contacting you.) My anti-spam email is nick at nick clayton dot com

2:42 pm  
Blogger essexgirl said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:16 pm  
Blogger Al Ain Taxi said...

Tell me about it! I have had the same fun and games here. I'm selling a sofa set for 150 dirhams. A three seater sofa and 2 armchairs. Originally it cost me 1000 second hand but it was in much better nick then.

Anyway, a guy came round the other day and thought I was asking too much for it!!!

I can see the same thing happening to us, a dealer coming over and offering a pittance for the lot. That's why I'm shipping most of our stuff. Where we're going its a bit more expensive to by brand new again.

7:20 pm  
Blogger Grumpy Goat said...

Al Ain Taxi: True enough. RAt rughly the same time I bought a sofa set from Home Centre (at the Oasis centre, just before it burned to the ground) my mother bought an almost identical one in England. Hers was marked down at half price, with additional discount because it was the last one in the shop.

I paid less than half what she did.

7:54 am  
Blogger Jin said...

You know you can chuck any books (you're not taking) my way hey? :-)

4:25 pm  
Blogger Jin said...

P.S. Just had a thought............you don't by any chance want to take grandma with do you? She'd be good company, sitting on the stoep (verandah) having a sundowner (or 5) & telling you lots of sordid stuff about the things I get up to......hahaha!

4:27 pm  
Blogger nzm said...

Jin: you are awful to poor grandma! LOL.

We shipped most of our stuff to Melbourne just recently and even though it cost us 13,000dir to do so, it was still worth it.

We couldn't have bought the stuff here in Australia for the prices that we paid for it in Dubai plus the shipping costs - nor did we want to go through the hassle of selling it too cheaply in Dxb.

Having moved into a new apartment last week (and still with no internet - hence the current abandonment of our own blog!), it was like Christmas as all our stuff was unpacked and we rediscovered what we had after 9 months of not seeing it.

All our electrical stuff is now sporting brand new Australian plugs!

Keefie and MamaDuck: all the very best for your move and love from the both of us. We will meet again in Spain - or maybe Australia - or perhaps a Dxb reunion? :-)

7:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home