ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Friday, January 13, 2006

BaNarnia

We went to see The Chronicles of Narnia yesterday. It's a staggeringly brilliant film. Go see it now!!!

I think it's interesting that a lot of the recent blockbusters (Potter, Kong, Wallace & Grommit, Narnia) have been great films, and have done fantastic box-office business without needing to rely on established, big-name, expensive actors. This is not to denigrate the likes of Bruce Willis or Stallone, I'm sure they are worth every cent that that they get paid, based on the revenues that they bring in. But I've never been one who would go to see a movie purely because it has an actor in it that I like. In fact it's the opposite way around with me - I will not pay good money to see films featuring certain actpersons.

A good film is the result of the collaboration of literally hundreds of people working in different specialities. I've never understood how we got to a situation where leading performers (lots of whom can barely act) got to be paid tens of millions of dollars for speaking words in front of a camera. Don't get me wrong, I think good actors are worth their weight in gold - but they are rarely the ones that get rewarded that way. Anyhoo, it seems that that era might be coming to an end.

But I'm jealous aren't I? Certainly.