ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Saturday, November 05, 2005

New Drivers Taken for a Ride

So says Gulf News in a bit of a non-story published today. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that it is standard practice the world over for insurance companies to charge new drivers and young drivers a bit more for their cover. The reason? Statistically these groups have more accidents. But I was greatly amused by this comment in the article:

(a 20-year-old new driver) ... said he did not understand this discriminatory policy. "I should not have been treated like this because I went through a complete training programme and got my licence after passing tests conducted by Dubai Traffic Police."

All is not lost, however:

(an agency manager) ...said insurance companies do consider giving a normal insurance premium to a driver if he holds a European licence or any other driving licence that can be exchanged for a UAE licence.

But I cannot imagine why.