ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Merry Winter Celebration

Sometimes I despair. Us Brits are too accommodating to people from other countries and cultures. I spoke to Offspring in London today and he told me that his little cousins have had two days off school recently. One for Eid Al Fitr, and one for Diwali. I think that's pretty cool - no doubt they will have been taught a bit about what these things mean, and that can only be a good thing.

But then there's this. The famously nutty Lambeth Council in London will no longer be putting up 'Christmas' lights. Instead, they will be called 'winter lights'. I am deeply, deeply offended by this. I have steam coming out of my ears. Lambeth Council, if you can show me one single Muslim, Jew, Sikh, Hindu, or any other bugger who lives in the UK and thinks that Christians should not celebrate their own festivals in their own way in their own country, I will personally slap them round the head with a deceased fish.

Get a grip you morons! I, as a Christian, am not remotely offended by mention of the religious festivals of other faiths. In fact I enjoy them. So why do you think that non-Christians in the UK would be offended by the Christmas thing? I tell you: I am sick and tired of Christianity being repeatedly subsumed to the 'cultural sensitivities' of other faiths. I have absolutely no axe to grind about these other faiths being practiced peacefully in my country, but when 'politically-correct' local politicians start arsing about like this, a line has to be drawn.

In fact, it's probably about time the UK got itself a written constitution, along the lines of: the official and approved religion is Christianity (Anglican & RC). All other religions are tolerated, and can build their own places of worship. No brain-dead local politician is allowed to interfere with the traditional UK religious or pagan celebrations. No other religion is allowed to be upset by Christians doing what they do. Likewise, no Christian is allowed to be upset by the celebrations of other faiths. OK, nice and easy. Get on with it.