ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

I Got Wheels!

I saw a car advertised yesterday that a) I could afford and b) I could afford and c) isn't made out of cardboard. I called the guy, arranged to see it this morning, haggled a bit, and bought it.

In view of what has been said on this blog article, I almost don't want to tell you what it is. OK then, it's a 7-series BMW. But it's a million years old and bits are falling off it, ok! It's just a way to get from A to B without having to wait for a bus or entrust your precious life to a taxi driver.

Completing the deal took all morning - we had to go from Jebel Ali to Deira to get the insurance transferred over to me. And then we had to go to the vehicle registration place in Al Quoz. They have a system there where you get given a queue ticket when you go in, but as we didn't get there till about 1215 they had stopped issuing tickets for that session - they close at 2pm, and it looked like it would take them at least until then to process the waiting multitudes. Undeterred, the Moroccan guy I was buying the car off went cruising around the building looking for any staff member he could try to pull some wasta on, or if that failed, bribe.

We got done in fifteen minutes and it cost an extra Dhs 100, but I most certainly am not complaining. So, sorry, no more bus and taxi stories - I'll just be whingeing about how naff it is to drive in Dubai from now on.

6 Comments:

Blogger LizzieD said...

Congrats! Feels good doesn't it? I just went through the same process. Had to find a solid car on a small budget. Thanks to the used-car complex I got an excellent car...so now I am one of those expats in a Corolla...but I guess I fit more than one category since I am A. White. B. Middle Class and C. Got the blacked-out windows....

9:34 am  
Blogger kaya said...

HEY MABRUK!BIG TIME CONGRATS.
What colour is it?Did u get sunroof?telly?
I have a 5 series( second hand,10 yrs old but a sexy emerald green bitch with emerald green leather seats eh i love my car) and the hubby drives a 7 series(also second hand)
BIG HUG from my car to yours.
SISTAH CONCERN!

11:18 pm  
Blogger Keefieboy said...

Kaya: It's red. Actually the paint was so faded that it looks like a dull pink. But yesterday I got busy with some wax polish and it really brought the colour back. Amazing. There is a sunroof, but no telly (if there was a TV, this car is so old it would be black and white!).

7:11 am  
Blogger kaya said...

KB but it helps esp for GPS.I mean whats there to watch on telly anyway!
Theres this place we drove out to all the way in dubai,he has some fantastic stuff to change the face of the car.As hubby dear was looking for something called "CLAY".Apparently its a wonder product(Meguiars) and saw result on my car as the abuse ones car suffers at the hands of the other blind people driving around is heartbreaking.
But tell all,tell more. Whats the interior like?

10:20 am  
Blogger Keefieboy said...

Kaya. The interior is like, disgusting! It's all cream leather and shiny woody bits. But the leather is cracked and split, looks like it's never been cleaned, and we're really gonna have to look at some re-upholstery methinks.

10:37 am  
Blogger kaya said...

Oh thatsounds cruel.The previous owned should be tarred and feathered.
But heres a site u can chk www.bimmerboard.com
its the bmw bible.

8:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home