ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

I Got Wheels!

I saw a car advertised yesterday that a) I could afford and b) I could afford and c) isn't made out of cardboard. I called the guy, arranged to see it this morning, haggled a bit, and bought it.

In view of what has been said on this blog article, I almost don't want to tell you what it is. OK then, it's a 7-series BMW. But it's a million years old and bits are falling off it, ok! It's just a way to get from A to B without having to wait for a bus or entrust your precious life to a taxi driver.

Completing the deal took all morning - we had to go from Jebel Ali to Deira to get the insurance transferred over to me. And then we had to go to the vehicle registration place in Al Quoz. They have a system there where you get given a queue ticket when you go in, but as we didn't get there till about 1215 they had stopped issuing tickets for that session - they close at 2pm, and it looked like it would take them at least until then to process the waiting multitudes. Undeterred, the Moroccan guy I was buying the car off went cruising around the building looking for any staff member he could try to pull some wasta on, or if that failed, bribe.

We got done in fifteen minutes and it cost an extra Dhs 100, but I most certainly am not complaining. So, sorry, no more bus and taxi stories - I'll just be whingeing about how naff it is to drive in Dubai from now on.