ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Monday, May 30, 2005

France Tells Chirac to Take a Hike

I think it's wonderful that the French pipple have rejected the proposed EU Constitution in a referendum held yesterday. I believe that Chirac was the brain cell behind the Constitution, and had crafted it so that France or any of the other big, old countries, could never be outmanoeuvred (Ithink that's French for 'throw the eggs away, man!') by any smaller or newer member country. Don't know, and don't much care.

It's a shame really. Spikking as a Brit, I support our membership of the EU 100%. Folks often talk about a 'United States of Europe' but I cannot see that ever happening - there's way too much history, national pride and just plain sovereignty for all of those EU members to allow themselves to be utterly subsumed into the bureaucratic nightmare that is the administration of the EU.

Anyhoo, the EU Constitution seems to be a dead thing, and Tony Blur has just announced that we Brits might have a referendum on it next Spring if the process is still dragging on. I thought they had to get 100% ratification from all 396 EU members for the Constitution to happen, which would make it DOA right now. I could be wrong, I frequently am.

It actually amazes me that France, of all places, opted to have a plebiscite (I love that word) on the issue. From what I'm hearing on the Beeb, people were not actually voting on the issue, they just wanted to give Chirac a well-deserved kick in the teeth. Democracy eh? Crazy stuff. Over to you Duffy.

Oh, and Chirac looks to be set to fire Prime Minister Raffarin! Ridiculous.