ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Thursday, November 24, 2005

I Forgive You, Turkey

I mentioned this story to BetterArf this morning and she was completely confused - 'is this something to do with Cyprus'? Well no, it's to do with the tradition of the US President forgiving a turkey (for what, I know not) on the ocassion of Thanksgiving. Anyhoo, Happy Thanksgiving to any Americans watching.

About the turkeys - I'd never heard of this tradition until a few months ago when President Martin Sheen had to pardon a turkey in an episode of the very wonderful West Wing. But there was something in one of the local papers today that said the pardoned turkey and the reserve would be going to live in Disneyland rather than the usual farm that previous suspects have been sent to.

Strange...I wonder what they'd done that required them to be pardoned?