ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Coincidence

Coincidence or what? A few days ago I had a meeting with a financial advisor about a retirement investment plan. Halfway through the meeting my mobile rang and it was a guy from Citibank inviting me to apply for a credit card. I declined. Mr Citibank said 'but it's free!' 'Ain't no such thing as a free credit card', I told him (big thumbs-up from financial advisor). 'Good day to you'.

This morning I met the finance guy again, and no sooner had we sat down than my mobile rang again. A gentleman from American Express. 'Are you trying to sell me a credit card?' I ask. Yes, he says. 'Good day to you'.

Amazing. Actually, I wouldn't mind a credit card for emergencies and Interweb purchases, but the banks here won't give me one because I own a small business, and they consider this too much of a risk. Ironically my employees can get cards, because they are paid a regular salary. Bizarre.