ADVENTURES IN DUBAI:
YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER ONE BLOG
BRITISH DESIGNER LIVING IN DUBAI TELLS (NEARLY) ALL

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Awesome New Toy

I like to think I'm more or less immune to techno-toys. But I lie.

I used to have a Palm 4, about 4 years ago, and it was seriously useful for organising my life. Then it upped and died. I was not a bunny of happiness. But even then what I really wanted was a PDA that was also a mobile phone. Things of that ilk started appearing on the market, but they were hideously expensive and just didn't seem to be worth the money. Plus they all had the form factor of a brick. Recently I've been reading reviews of the PalmOne Treo 650. Every one of them raves about this baby, and I started lusting after it. Anyhoo, throwing caution to the wind, today I bought one!

Oh man, it's awesome! A truly phenomenal piece of kit. You have the usual Palm stuff like Calendar, Memos and Diary. You have the telephone and messaging stuff. You have a camera, with a nifty little feature that lets you draw on a photo (using the stylus). There's a cut-down version of Microsoft Word and Excel. And there's an interWeb browser and email thingie. And all of this can be very easily synchronised with data on your main computer. Fan Bloody Tastic!

So the only thing wrong with this picture is that I have to do a little Etisalat Interaction (my favourite thing, as you know) to get GPRS enabled so I can use the interWeb features of the phone. It wasn't that bad actually, only 2 10-minute waits in call-centre-hell, and then a quick sign-up on their website. The website said that it would be set up within 24 hours, and it costs Dhs 30 a month (plus a small-looking fee for actual data transfer). This is actually the first time I've ever done anything with Etisalat that didn't involve long queues, form-filling and document providing. So yay!

And the phone has just gone beep to tell me there's a message. It's from Etisalat, telling me that the GPRS is now enabled. Yeehaaaa! Gonna play with it some more.